Friday, December 3, 2010

Letter to My Reflection in the Mirror

Dear Woman in the Mirror,

 You've come a long way, from a remote hacienda in the south to this place in the north, lol.  You have gone places, met so many people and had lived many roles - unwanted poor relation, working college student librarian, teacher, photographer/videographer, call center agent, tarot card reader, palm reader, numerology expert, dream interpreter,  pranic healer, writer, sales person,  young and hopeful wife, ambitious career woman, long suffering unhappy wife in a loveless marriage, unfaithful wife, 'separated' wife, mother, single mom, the other woman,  kept woman, new old wife, confidante to the young wives, adviser to the broken hearted,  etc., etc.

Too many roles, past and present, like being Jack of all Trades (master of none?).  Whatever you'd like to be  when you grow up (ganun) be always mindlful  of your actions and words.   Be always appreciative of what you have, for that is the basis of your happiness.   You have the ability to "concretize the abstract" and use that to the max to help others who are also in the journey.  Congratulations, I am proud of you :))

Wayne Dyer's books gave me self assurance to take charge of myself.  Reading his book made me realize that the person responsible for me is ME, guided by prayers and guidance of people I love. You will love Wayne Dyer's books.
In YOUR ERRONEOUS ZONES, Wayne Dyer encourages his readers to ask themselves this question: "How long am I going to be dead?" Dyer suggests that taking such an "eternal perspective" will aid one in gaining a more "take charge" stance in life. Life is a risk, and we are all going to die anyway, so why not do what we want with our lives? This has been one of the most helpful self-help books I have ever found. In fact, I think it may be THE best self-help book I've ever read. This is one of the "classics," and many others have taken its lead. I believe this is Wayne Dyer's best work.
The other not-so-pretty reality of life that Dyer suggests we face is that things are not fair, and they never will be. In chapter 8, "The Justice Trap," the author writes bluntly about the fact that injustice is committed every day and that if one has enough money one can get away with it. Poor people will rot in jail, while rich people get a slap on the wrist for the same crime. It is not an "erroneous zone" (self-defeating behavior) to notice the injustices of this world; the erroneous zone is the belief that becoming incapacitated with anger, guilt, worry, or indignation, by the injustices will change anything. Many heroic people try to change the injustices, and they are to be commended. But they often fail because they are against impossible odds. Year after year, century after century, the privileged few get away with what the rest of us do not. Is it fair? No! Should we convince ourselves that it is okay? No! Should we fool ourselves into believing incapacitating ourselves with worry and anger is going to change anything? No, again. If you can do something to end an injustice, then do it. If you can't, don't feel guilty.
I also enjoyed Dyer's candor on the hypocrisy of educational institutions, and found it surprising considering that he himself is a professor. He notes that one of the greatest "erroneous zones" is the need for approval, and then he points out that schools are one of the main culprits in instilling the need for approval in people. From the moment you walk into a school, he says, you are told where to sit, how to talk, what to write, how to think, control, control, control, and then you are graded according to your willingness to hand your mind over to the authority figures. Students with high self-esteem, who are full of self-love, and who are not susceptible to guilt and worry, are systematically labeled "trouble makers" by the school faculty. The inference is clear: ridding oneself of guilt and erroneous zones often means going against the very fabric of this society.
This is a radical book! And it's been a good friend for years. I had the honor of meeting Mr. Dyer a few years back at a book signing, and he seems to live what he preaches.

By 
Andrew Olivo (Oregon, United States)
Search Amazon.com for starting conversation

7 comments:

  1. Hey, you're a haciendera????? Good for you, Malou!!!! :)

    You know, I get a kick out of your letters to the skanks who try to steal your husband....HAHAAHAHAHHAHA! I read them and don't know what to comment, really! HAHAHAHAHA! Do THEY read your blog???? Oh my goodness! hahahha....

    It's almost Christmas! I can feel it! I wish you Christmas cheer and love for the Holidays and for the New Year!!!!!!!

    Love,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, C, wish you a joyful Christmas too.
    These 'skanks' don't read at all, or may not understand, or may be in denial, hahaha. I always tease my hubby he's the barrio's hearthrob, hehehe.
    No, I am not a haciendera. My Tatay used to work for a haciendero as a bookkeeper :)

    Love ya C!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! Funny! XD

    Well then you should send them a link! HAHAHA!

    I see, so you lived on a hacienda with your tatay working as the bookkeeper... sounds like you have many stories to tell, from a mysterious life like that...

    Love you,
    Cece

    merry merry Christmas ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry merry Christmas Cece (I heart you too :) Good for you, you could feel Christmas...I hope I could too, because I should :D

    You're right, I have so many stories to tell, don't know when, where, how to begin.

    Love you Cece, take care.
    Malou

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi.. you're such a very strong woman. Amazing to know the journey you've been through. Now, Despite of those bad days, you stand strong and proud. Anyway, I stumbled upon an interesting article you may want to check - Happiness

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Michaelangel. I am following you now :))

    ReplyDelete

I thrive on comments, thanks for leaving a comment. I will visit your blog as well :)